Welcome to my little corner of blogland! This is the only sane spot I can come in my crazy life! :) Here I share my sometimes funny sometimes NOT-day to day insanity I call my life, along with my sweet wooly hubby & all our boys :)

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; there is where they should be.
Now put foundations under them.

Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, June 07, 2007

peace...

Last night, almost dusk. Hubby was puttering out back. Kids were gone to a youth group skating party and I was sitting on my porch swing. The wind was blowing just enough to stir my wind chimes. The sun was almost gone, low enough for cooler temps. The lightning bugs were just warming up for the evening. The summer bugs were starting up in fits and starts, nothing like the continuous drone they'll be going every night starting soon. But enough to be pleasant. I hardly ever just sit and think..but I did. I sat and did absolutely nothing for about 20 minutes until the kids got home. I thought of summer as a kid. I dont have alot of real happy memories as a kid, but I remember just sitting on summer evenings and hearing the sounds. Night bugs, wind blowing, whipporwills, bullfrogs. Then the kids were home, and catching lightning bugs. Little flying bits of magic, no matter how old or young you are. The neighbor walks by with her dog. Dark was falling, but its early enough that the mosquitos arent terrible yet. We stayed out, the kids got their light sabers and had several battles. Why..what is this foreign feeling? What is the creeping up in me and spilling out as night falls on my street? Ah, I put my finger on it...CONTENTMENT.

xoxo melzie

4 comments:

Shelina said...

How sweet. I hope you have lots of happy moments this summer.

Susan said...

That's a wonderful post, Melzie. You'll be able to look back on it whenever you are feeling down, and it will pick you back up. Very nicely written, too, with lots of Melzie-voice.

~Bren~ said...

Love your blog. I especially like the sewing room. Why is it that someone elses sewing room is always an inspiration? Makes me want to go sew! Your kids are adorable. I understand the wildchild as I have a couple of those here myself ;)
Bren

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I like reading your blog. Your words paint as pretty a picture as your photos on your other blog.

Thanks, also for visiting mine.

Btw, the fabric you asked about is a Marcus Brothers print, but the selvage does not have anything else written on it. So unusual, but, maybe that is enough if you'd like to find it online.